Sunday 15 January 2012

Shop Girl

When I was sixteen and doing my GCSEs, I got my first job at Accessorize in Milton Keynes City Centre ( or the Centre:MK as it now pretentiously calls itself). I bloody loved it. I worked the Saturday shift from 9-6pm for the princely sum of £27. That's right, £3 an hour. I thought I was rich - after tax I was earning nearly one hundred pounds a month. ONE HUNDRED POUNDS. Which bought at least 5 lycra based tops from Miss Selfridge and a couple of bottles of Lemon Hooch which was pretty much all I needed back then. I stayed at Accessorize all the way through sixth form and uni and learnt an awful lot about retail. Still, its been ten years since I last worked in a shop so I was a bit nervous about  actual working bit of having my own boutique. I know it sounds weird but that was my biggest concern. Business plans, accounts, buying - didn't faze me at all - but operating a till? I woke up in cold sweats about it. Seriously.


As it turns out, its all been quite lovely and I am an old pro now. I'm in my absolute element here in my little boutique. As I write this, its 2.10pm on Sunday and I'm doing a few online bits here for eBay and ASOS so I've opened up for the afternoon. We've had lots more customers than I'd predicted so I think we'll make Sunday opening a permanent fixture. Bang goes my day off....but, do you know what? I don't mind at all......

No comments:

Post a Comment